Saturday, February 25, 2012

JUST %$#@!'in DO IT!! (JFDI.)

   Here's to all you hesitant, Japanese linguists to-be,..
Your objective is simple: Learn Japanese. You've got ALL the tools you need. Notebooks, pencils, maybe a textbook, and then you've got the internet. The knowledge of the entire freaking world is now in your sweaty palms. With just that shiny new iPhone―you can literally read your way into Japanese fluency. No doubt. Anywhere, any time. (Bus delayed? That sucks. Hmm. iPhone in pocket + ten minutes. Time to learn a new word?) So, what's stopping you from doing something you just said you WANTED to do? JUST DO IT.
It's no secret that I support Koichi―and the guys at Tofugu―a mighty 101xπ%. Especially on this topic. Because as an aspiring (English/Japanese) teacher, I know that words mean nothing until there's completed work at the end of my desk. Plus, I didn't get to where I am now by watching the grass grow. I worked hard over the past 2-3 years, and I put in an insane amount of obsessive, hardcore energy into my Japanese studies. And, well,..
  here's just a few reasons why I KNOW you can do it too:
  1. I was NEVER a good student. From Grade 1 to Grade 12―things got worse before they finally got a little better. Hell! I was even tossed out of a school because of my grades. 
  2. I've tried learning Tagalog, Russian, and all things Irish (Gaeilge)... all in that order. Obviously, I gave up on each one. My entire family had once viewed me as 'the girl who talked big, but gave up easily'. Even now that I've achieved so much with my Japanese language skill―I'm STILL fighting this label within my family.      
So, now. Reading this, I knowKNOW you know you can do it. So, JUST DO IT.

Of course, of course. You might actually have some pretty good reasons keeping you from your 'doing it'. So, let me try smashing a few of those reasons with my mighty B.S. hammer.

      excuse: I have no idea where to start!
A: Bullsheeet. Alphabet, vocab. Think back to learning English. It's just like that. NO ONE learns Japanese the same way, the same order. You'll just have to trust me on that. There is no "wrong way" to learn Japanese (UNLESS romaji is involved). You want a tip?―here's a little something something to get you started.
      excuse: My life is just too hectic to take on a second language... 
A: aaanck! Wrong. You could of been studying during last sunday night's football game, last weekend, last summer,.. waiting in a waiting room,.. free time,.. the last time you spent ten minutes trying to touch your tongue to your nose. Ohhh, yeah. You just got called OUT, man. ANY amount of time spent studying is better than no time at all. So, JUST %$#@!'in DO IT.
      excuse: I'm scared of embarrassing myself.   
A: Number 1; if you're embarrassed of yourself wanting to learn Japanese―this language may not be right for you. Supposedly, this is something you want. Something you should start developing a passion for. And THAT is nothing to be ashamed of. Number 2; if you're embarrassed of talking out-loud, or making a mistake―I need to stress that making mistakes is the quickest way to learn a language, and something I recommend doing 101%. If you are really serious about Japanese, you'll know this, and you'll accept this. And sometimes, someday, your mistakes and embarrassing moments can become your most fondest memories. I speak from experience. Just do it, kiddo. :)
And so, before I leave you with you with your thoughts, I need to ask you a question... because the last excuse is the one you considered, but pushed aside into the back of your mind―too scared to hear the answer.
WHY do you want to learn Japanese,
and just how much do you want it?
The answer to this last excuse is simply "yes" or "no", and depends entirely on who you are, and how much you want this... and is something I've wanted to discuss on my blog for several years now. 
 Maybe Japanese isn't right for you. 
Learning Japanese so that you 'don't have to read the subtitles of an anime' used to be a popular reason that killed me on the insides. That, and learning so that you could live a 'carefree life in Harajuku'... (why, people, WHY?!)
Before, I would have wanted to write that if you were learning Japanese for these reasons―you should just stop now. But now, I don't think it's all that bad. Because; although the reason is small, your reasons for learning Japanese will grow with time... just like mine did. And that is something that I forgot.
So, I guess it all comes down to much you reallyREALLY want to watch sub-free anime... I guess. So let me ask you one more time......
WHY do you want to learn Japanese, 
and just HOW MUCH do you want it?
answer below in comments. ♥ 
Don't regret. Just DO IT.

6 comments:

  1. How is your Japanese skill?
    I think you're a good Japanese speaker!
    Keep going!
    I'll practice English!
    がんばって(・∀・)
    はやく会いたいよ~:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. いつもいつも、コメントくれた~ありがとうょー♪
      頑張ってますぅ☆

      Your English is amazing, too! Keep studying hard, and someday--we can talk to eachother fluently in either language!! ♥ I sent you a message on FB, but I'm hoping we can meet up on Thursday/Friday? (ごめん~ん!会いたい・会いたい・会いたいですょ。) :c

      Delete
  2. 頑張ってるね!マジで感心!よくそこまで独学で出来るね。><
    今度またご飯食べに行こう!カレーライス!!笑 
    絢大好きだよ~!!!<3 ラブラブラブ!!笑 気持ち悪いね。ワラ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. セリやろーよ? 可笑しすぎるww
      いつもいつも~、コメントくれてありがとうぅですけどぅ...。チョー気持ち悪っ!なんかさぁ。「読みながら、痴漢のコメントかなぁ」って思った。―――・・・いやっ、本当です!(笑)
      まあぁ、頑張ります!^^ 先生になるなら、一所懸命頑張りますぅよねっ。

      いつもいつもありがとうぅょー♪  絢

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the inspiration!! I'm going to work really hard at Japanese!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be there to help ya every step of the way!! You are a very determined person with a strong drive, so I KNOW you'll get this. :)

      Delete